The City Club of Cleveland

login Create an Account

private events
go

Not a Member?

Our members are champions of free speech. Join today!

join

Account Login

login

Forgot Password? Create an Account

Forgot Password

submit Cancel

Update Password

submit

The Day I Die: The Untold Story of Assisted Dying in America

Healthcare

The Day I Die: The Untold Story of Assisted Dying in America

Friday, June 2, 2023
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Doors at 11:15am / Lunch at 11:30am / Forum begins 12:00pm

Add to Favorites

Share This

"I was always struck by this idea of embracing death." – Anita Hannig

In the United States, 22 percent of Americans live in places that authorize medical aid in dying. But as more states consider–and pass–legislation that supports the practice, confusion and hurdles remain. In 2015, author and anthropologist Anita Hannig began researching medical aid-in-dying in the United States. She spent hundreds of hours speaking with doctors, patients, and lawmakers across the country. The results of Hannig’s long-term project are laid out in her latest book, The Day I Die: The Untold Story of Assisted Dying in America. Combining extensive research with personal narratives, Hannig goes beyond the surface-level polarization to offer a deeper, more nuanced assessment of a social issue that will continue to affect more Americans.

The Day I Die was a nonfiction finalist for the 2023 Oregon Book Awards. The State Library of Oregon also selected the title to represent the Oregon Center for the Book at the National Book Festival in Washington D.C.

Previously, Hannig served as an associate professor of anthropology at Brandeis University. Her first book, Beyond Surgery: Injury, Healing, and Religion at an Ethiopian Hospital, was awarded the 2018 Eileen Basker Memorial Prize from the Society for Medical Anthropology.

----

After the forum, a book signing with the author will be available. Mac's Backs will be on site for book sales.

The book is also available for pre-order here for pick up at Mac's Backs, or the City Club. In the comment section at check out, let Mac's Backs know where you would like to pick up your copy.

----

The livestream will be available beginning at 12:00pm. Have questions? Tweet them at @TheCityClub or send a text to 330.541.5794.

For more information on City Club's health and safety protocols, click here. Email info@cityclub.org with any questions.

Production and distribution of City Club forums in partnership with Ideastream Public Media is generously provided by PNC and the United Black Fund.

Want to know who is speaking next at the City Club? Sign up here.

Slice 1 Created with Sketch.

Our New Address

1317 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100
Cleveland, Ohio 44115

The City Club of Cleveland building
x

Photo Gallery

1 of 22