If you've come to any City Club events in the last couple of months, you've probably heard me mention that we're going to Chautauqua this summer as part of a week of conversation about the future of cities. It's sponsored by the Cleveland Foundation, and we are thrilled to be invited to assist on programming that week.
Here's the basic format of what's happening that week. In the mornings, there will be big talks by people like David Simon ("The Wire," "Treme"), Sergio Fajardo (Governor of Antioquia, Colombia), and Michele Dunne (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace’s Middle East Program), along with some other heavy hitters. Then at 12:30, I'll be moderating a series of "Fred Talk" conversations with leaders from Cleveland to discuss how our hometown is approaching the themes and issues that will be surfaced throughout the week. So our Fred Talk about artistic cities will feature the Foundation's Lillian Kuri, Cleveland Public Theater's Raymond Bobgan and Fred Bidwell, cofounder of the Transformer Station; in our conversation about inclusive cities we'll hear from Joe Cimperman of Global Cleveland, Dream Neighborhood developer Fred Geis, and India Pierce Lee of the Cleveland Foundation.
There are many reasons we are doing this, but the main point is to put Cleveland's urban innovations in conversation with the thinking and the people doing the same kind of work around the world. The other reason is to catalyze community dialogue about the kind of cities we want to help create in the future. To that end, our final session on Friday afternoon will give participants an opportunity to talk with one another about their learnings from the week and the vision they're bringing back to their hometowns.
Here's a list of the CLE locals you'll hear from:
• Ronn Richard, President & CEO, Cleveland Foundation
• Fred Bidwell, President of the Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell Foundation
• Raymond Bobgan, Executive Artistic Director, Cleveland Public Theatre
• Lillian Kuri, Program Director for Arts & Urban Design, Cleveland Foundation
• The Rev. Dr. Stephen Rowan, Senior Pastor, Bethany Baptist Church
• Rabbi Robert Nosanchuk, Senior Rabbi, Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple
• Joe Cimperman, President, Global Cleveland
• Fred Geis, Co-founder and Owner, Geis Companies
• India Pierce Lee, Program Director for Neighborhoods, Housing and Community Development, Cleveland Foundation
• Adrian Matejka, Author & 2014 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award Winner
• Karen Long, Manager, Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards
• Lorry Wagner, Ph.D, President, Lake Erie Energy Development Corporation (LEEDCo)
• Brian Zimmerman, Chief Executive Officer, Cleveland Metroparks
You can see more about other speakers and events that week here.
You can purchase tickets here. We hope you can make it.