The City Club of Cleveland

login Create an Account

private events
go

Not a Member?

Our members are champions of free speech. Join today!

join

Account Login

login

Forgot Password? Create an Account

Forgot Password

submit Cancel

Update Password

submit

Art Weighs In

Arts & Culture

Art Weighs In

Friday, February 16, 2018
12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Add to Favorites

Share This

"I’m learning that I’m in these two worlds. No one knew I had a flute in my backpack." – Donald Black, Jr.

Throughout human history, artists are often the vanguard of social commentary, helping us see the narratives of our communities in new ways (think Gilgamesh, Frida Kahlo, Aeschylus or Toni Morrison). Whether on the stage, on the page, or elsewhere, artists shape the conversations we have about social and political issues. Sometimes they do this quietly and sometimes they work with explicitly provocative intentions.

This season, Cleveland Public Theatre brings to Cleveland two important, civically and politically engaged works--How to End Poverty in 90 Minutes (with 119 People You May or May Not Know) and American Dreams--challenging the audience to rethink their perceptions on issues of poverty and immigration. Meanwhile, local artist Donald Black Jr. has contributed murals and public art around Greater Cleveland, forcing us to re-think our relationships to one another.

Join us for a conversation with artists who are confronting the most important issues of our day.

Photo: (L to R) Bobby Bermea*+, Hannah Treuhaft+, La'Tevin Alexander, Andy Haftkowycz, Rebecca Martinez*+, Emma Bridges and Jake Simonds in the Regional Premiere of Sojourn's HOW TO END POVERTY at Portland Playhouse. Photo by Brud Giles. *Actor appears courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association, the Union of Professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States.

Want to know who is speaking next at the City Club? Sign up here.

Slice 1 Created with Sketch.

Our New Address

1317 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100
Cleveland, Ohio 44115

The City Club of Cleveland building
x

Photo Gallery

1 of 22