The City Club of Cleveland

login Create an Account

private events
go

Not a Member?

Our members are champions of free speech. Join today!

join

Account Login

login

Forgot Password? Create an Account

Forgot Password

submit Cancel

Update Password

submit

The View from the U.S. Attorney General's Office: A Conversation with Bill Barr

Politics & Public Policy

The View from the U.S. Attorney General's Office: A Conversation with Bill Barr

Friday, May 5, 2023
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Doors at 11:15am / Lunch at 11:30am / Forum begins 12:00pm

Add to Favorites

Share This

"I thought I was in the best position to stabilize the institution and make sure people didn’t run over the administration, so I went in. But Trump was more of a handful than I expected, even after all the warnings I got." – Bill Barr

William Barr first took the office of the United States Attorney General in 1991, serving President George H. W. Bush through the end of his term in the White House. Decades later, he would come out of private practice to become the 85th AG, replacing Jeff Sessions in the administration of Donald J. Trump. It was a surprising appointment to some, given his well-known support for Jeb Bush in the 2016 primaries. Yet Barr had publicly supported the 45th president, particularly with regard to the special counsel investigation of Russian involvement in the 2016 election. The accomplishments of Barr’s second tenure are well known, including both his handling of the special counsel report and his resignation in December 2020 when he refused to support President Trump’s efforts to overturn the election.

Barr's two stints leading the U.S. Department of Justice have given him a unique point of view on the rule of law and the functioning of the executive branch. He lays much of this out in his 2022 book One Damn Thing After Another: Memoirs of an Attorney General. The book, a number one New York Times best seller which The Wall Street Journal called "substantive and brilliant,” takes its title from the words one of Barr's predecessors used to describe the job.

As we mark Law Day 2023, Bill Barr joins us to discuss his memoirs, his time in the AG's office, and the state of our democracy.

----

After the forum, a book signing with the author will be available. Mac's Backs will be on site for book sales.

The book is also available for pre-order here for pick up at Mac's Backs, or the City Club. In the comment section at check out, let Mac's Backs know where you would like to pick up your copy.

----

The livestream will be available beginning at 12:00pm. Have questions? Tweet them at @TheCityClub or send a text to 330.541.5794.

For more information on City Club's health and safety protocols, click here. Email info@cityclub.org with any questions.

Want to know who is speaking next at the City Club? Sign up here.

Slice 1 Created with Sketch.

Our New Address

1317 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100
Cleveland, Ohio 44115

The City Club of Cleveland building
x

Photo Gallery

1 of 22